Yes, it was my older sister’s bridal shower, but we’re considering it our first catering gig still!
My young sister, Jenny, is the maid of honor and is traditionally tasked with throwing a bridal shower. We were excited to plan the whole thing and I think we did a great job.
The theme: Tea Party.
She worked decorations, teas, invitations, etc, and I happily organized the menu. Keeping true with a traditional tea party, we had 4 different tea sandwiches, each on their own bread, scones and some desserts.
This was a fun and enlightening experience in menu planning. I baked all 4 types of bread, came up with the sandwich types and assembled the day of (with lots of help from Susanna and Jenny’s bf, Justin).
- Grilled Eggplant, Tomato, Basil on Ciabatta
- Hummus Vegetable on Whole Wheat Bread
- Cucumber Dill on a Dainty Tea Bread
- Chicken Salad on Sunflower Flaxseed Bread
This post would be enormous if I put the recipes for each sandwich, so I’ll make a separate post with the recipes, more pictures and the bread.
To prepare for this all, I made all the breads the day or two days before. Each bread (except the ciabatta) was made in this awesome lidded bread pan, especially designed for making a square tea sandwich.
Here’s the full menu:
- 4 different types of teas
- lemon water
- cucumber lime water
- Grilled Eggplant, Tomato, Basil on Ciabatta (vegan)
- Hummus Vegetable on Whole Wheat Bread (vegan)
- Cucumber Dill on a Dainty Tea Bread (vegan)
- Chicken Salad on Sunflower Flaxseed Bread (vegan bread)
- Cinnamon Raisin Scones (vegan) with lemon curd (vegan) and clotted cream
- Raspberry Almond Thumbprint cookies (vegan)
- French Macarons (vegan)
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries
The chicken salad, chocolate strawberries and the clotted cream for the scones were the only three items in the entire menu that weren’t vegan/vegetarian. For an audience where the only two non-meat eaters were Susanna and Jenny, I think that’s pretty good!
The day before the party, Susanna and I got a new lens! The 50mm f1.8 AF/S G.
We’ve been having a lot of fun practicing with it and getting some great shots. Here’s some of the macarons from the party. Susanna also took all of the photos from the party with this lens.