Soft Pretzels, Easier Than You Think
Nothing quite beats a big, chewy soft pretzel. I had a great excuse to make a dozen of these for a work cookout we had last week. After they were announced, I looked over in 2 minutes and I had to run over to grab the last one!
Pretzels are very similar to bagels in method and ingredients, and while I’ve never made bagels, I’m considering this practice.
- 12 ounces of warm water
- 1 tbl sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 10 ounces whole wheat flour
- 10 ounces white bread flour
- 2 ounces vegan margarine, melted
- 10 cups water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 1 tbl vegan margarine, melted
- 1 tbl vegan creamer
- pretzel salt
- Combine water (make sure it’s not too hot!), sugar and yeast in a large mixing bowl and let sit until frothy (5 mins).
- Add in salt, both flours, and melted margarine and mix until well combined
- Turn onto counter and knead until a soft, smooth dough forms (add more bread flour as necessary).
- Place dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic and let sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, bring the dough to room temperature by removing from the refrigerator for an hour before working with it.
- Divide the dough into 8-12 equal pieces (I divided mine into 12 87g pieces to ultimately form ~4″ wide pretzel).
- Roll a piece into a long strip, approximately 20″ long, careful to not twist the dough or make it uneven. Now, shape it into a pretzel form, and place on a lightly greased sheet pan and cover with a damp towl. Repeat with each piece of dough. In the meantime, put the 10 cups of water and 2/3 cup baking soda to boil in a large, wide sauce pan or pot.
- Boil the pretzels in the water, two at a time, for 30 seconds, while constantly splashing water on top of them (no time to flip, so just try to get full coverage on top with the water).
- Place onto a sheet pan, lined with parchment paper, brush with your margarine/creamer mixture and sprinkle the salt on top.
- Bake trays, two at a time, for 12 minutes at 450°F, rotating the pans halfway through.
- Cool on racks and serve along side your favorite mustard!