Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake (Gluten-Free)
I made these gluten-free chocolate shortcakes for my niece’s birthday. This was my first successful gluten-free baking experiment and tasted great topped with soy whipped cream and sliced strawberries. They’re more like biscuits in both recipe and method.
I used King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour Mix. It worked well, the cakes stayed together and were soft and chewy.
Makes about 15-20 shortcakes:
- 3 cups gluten-free all purpose flour mix
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar (omit if using non-alkalized cocoa powder)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, use a food processor or sift to ensure there are no clumps.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the oil and milk.
- Fold together until thoroughly combined.
- Scoop batter onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Make scoops a bit larger than the size of a gold ball and flatten in a patty-like shape. Space about 1 inch apart.
- Bake at 400°F for 7 minutes, rotate pan and then bake for an addition 7-10 minutes or until cookies are firm (but not hard) and not burnt.